Eco-Cute CO2 Heat Pump
A Sustainable Technology
Regardless of political agendas or incentives, consumers worldwide are increasingly pursuing sustainable, cost-effective alternatives to traditional fossil-fuelled equipment for their hot water and space heating requirements. Using natural CO₂ as the refrigerant and achieving a high coefficient of performance (COP), CO₂ heat pumps offer both ecological and financial benefits.
A world-first design, Eco-cute CO2 Heat Pumps represent the accumulated know-how and experience of half a century of dedicated manufacturing of water heaters.
Using proven technology and ground-breaking design, the Eco-cute CO2 Heat Pump system is powered by electricity and utilizes heat extracted from the air to produce heat energy to make hot water. This highly efficient eco-friendly system converts one unit of electrical energy into four units of heating energy which achieves significant cost savings compared to alternative heating systems using electricity or gas.
The unique capacity of the Eco-Cute CO2 Heat Pump to produce 90°C hot water makes it suitable for use in a wide range of industrial, commercial and residential projects, including food processing plants, dairies, shopping centres, apartments, hotels, restaurants, hospitals, aged care, recreational and educational facilities. Eco-cute can also be adopted with a high level of safety as the absence of combustion reduces the risk of fire.
Instead of the more conventional ammonia or haloalkane (R134A) refrigerant gases, Eco-Cute CO2 Heat Pumps use supercritical carbon dioxide as the refrigerant. The technology offers a means of energy conservation and reduces the emission of greenhouse gas. From the energy output side, the operational characteristics of the heat pump are different to conventional systems (such as electric/gas/oil boilers or electric heaters). With conventional systems, 1kW input of energy provides less than 1 kW of output energy or heat. With a CO2 heat pump system, every 1kW of input energy consumed produces an average of 3.9 x the input as output energy or heat by extracting heat from the outside air.
Producing 90°C hot water with an average COP of 3.9, makes Eco-Cute CO₂ Heat Pumps an ideal energy efficient domestic hot water and space heating system for industrial, commercial and residential applications. This ability to convert 1kW of input energy into 3.9kW of output energy represents an ongoing economical and sustainable water heating solution.
- Flexible – The same system can be simultaneously used for Space Heating & Domestic Hot Water
- Ultra quiet operation – 60dBa
- No combustion – reduces fire risk
- Suitable for up to 60°C ΔT (flow 90°C, return 30°C)
- Ambient operating temperatures from -5°C to 43°C (Special unit available for -15°C or -20°C)
- Safe – Non-flammable CO₂ refrigerant
- Can be set to operate during off peak times to benefit from low cost power
- 30% Space Saving due to Y Frame design (CHP-80)
- Versatile – Suitable for a wide range of purposes, from small facilities to large buildings where hot water or heating is required
- Eco friendly – The Eco-Cute CO2 Heat Pump uses natural CO₂ refrigerant. This refrigerant has a global warming potential (GWP) of about 1/1700 that of R410 and zero ozone-depleting potential (ODP)
- Energy efficient – Under optimal conditions, Eco-Cute CO2 Heat Pumps achieve an exceptional coefficient of performance (up to 4.2) which equates to higher energy efficiency. Compared to the traditional electric hot water heater, the CO2 hot water heat pump can save up to 75% heating energy. Further energy cost savings can be achieved through operation during off peak hours, subject to off-peak electrical power supply
- Anti-freeze/Cold Area Units – the heat pump is fitted with a defrost solenoid valve which will open when the evaporator ices up. The hot gas will then flow through the evaporator and melts the ice. Water cannot be stored during defrosting
- Heats up to 90°C – Due to its innovative design, the Eco- Cute CO2 Heat Pump can produce hot water up to 90°C at low and high ambient temperatures (-20°C to 43°C)
- One pass heating – It is suitable for heating water from low to high temperatures (large temperature difference) in one pass
- Reduces storage requirements – Since this hot water heat pump can heat water up to 90ºC, the size of the storage tank can be reduced
- Energy Saving Function – This function is an energy saving function that learns operation patterns from the four previous weeks to prevent unnecessary heating and temperature decreases in stored water through natural heat loss. The use of this function based on operation data stops the unit from boiling water unnecessarily.
Running Cost Comparison
Eco-Cute offers Significantly lower running costs & CO₂ emissions.
How It Works
The Eco-Cute CO2 Hot water heat pump is an energy efficient electric heat pump that uses heat extracted from the air to heat water for industrial, commercial and residential applications. A hot water heat pump removes energy from a low temperature source (ambient air or waste water) and moves it to a high temperature hot water tank.
Advantages of using CO₂ as a refrigerant
This heat pump uses CO₂ as a refrigerant. CO₂ is a natural refrigerant and has an ozone depletion potential (ODP) of zero and a global warming potential (GWP) of 1. CO2 refrigerant is a non HFC refrigerant. Traditional HFC refrigeration systems affect climate change in two distinct ways: direct and indirect contribution. Direct contribution results from the release of refrigerants into the atmosphere. Indirect contribution refers to the energy used to operate traditional refrigeration equipment. The less energy required to operate the equipment, the lower the impact on the environment.
Product Quick Check
- Type: CO₂ Heat Pump
- Range: 12-80kW
- Efficiency: Average COP 3.9
- Fuel Type: Electricity
- Outdoor option: Yes
- Cascadeable: Yes
- Max Pressure: 490 kPa
- Zero Nox: Yes
- Building J Code 2018 compliant: Yes
General Performance Data of a Standard Unit
Our Business Development Manager, Terry Plaisted, discusses the advantages of the Eco-Cute CO2 Heat Pumps exhibited at ARBS 2018, held in Sydney in May.
To access downloadable documents for this product please complete and submit the form below.
This will enable us to keep you informed of any updates to product literature or specifications.
CO2 Heat Pumps represent an innovative and developing technology that is taking sustainable heating alternatives to an exciting new level.
Because of the specialised and progressive nature of this product we have a dedicated team to handle CO2 Heat Pump enquiries to ensure a prompt and comprehensive assessment of and response to our clients needs. To initiate a no-obligation, free consultation, please submit your enquiry via the form below.
Recent Projects featuring this product
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.