Annual Boiler Service
The old adage “a stitch in time, saves nine” is almost an understatement in the context of boiler maintenance. With boilers often in constant service and fulfilling critical heating functions within buildings – ranging from domestic residences to major airports – it makes sense to keep them running at peak performance. Unfortunately, all too often boiler maintenance remains unscheduled and overlooked until boiler failure becomes a reality and a lack of heating starts impacting on people and critical functions throughout the household or organisation.
In this article we explore why an annual boiler service is so critical, what we do when we carry out a service and the potential risks involved in neglecting these simple tasks.
Key reasons for having your boiler serviced annually
- Regulatory Compliance – Government regulations set out minimum service requirements for all commercial buildings in order to meet health and safety standards. These regulations also stipulate how long service records should be kept. Annual servicing of your heating plant and maintenance of accurate service records provides a level of insurance not only against heating failure but against costly litigation resulting from an appliance rendered dangerous through neglect.
- Keeping your building safe – Having your boiler serviced helps to highlight any potential dangers and risks associated with your boiler and flue. When your boiler stops working efficiently, it’s possible for toxic carbon monoxide gases to be released. These gases are extremely dangerous and pose serious risks to anyone exposed to them, yet are ordinarily hard to detect.
- Identify Problems Early – During a service, potential problems are identified early and can help to minimise further damage to the boiler and save costly future repairs.
- Reduce your Fuel Bills – During an annual boiler service, your boiler parts are cleaned and the boiler efficiency is checked. A properly maintained boiler running at optimum efficiency ensures ongoing energy savings are maintained.
- Keeping your Warranty Valid – Many boiler warranties are valid subject to having an annual service carried out. For many boiler manufacturers, failing to service your boiler using an appropriately certified heating engineer can invalidate your warranty altogether, leaving you liable for costly repair bills.
- Cheaper than Replacing a Boiler – If your boiler is left faulty for long periods of time, much larger and more complicated issues can arise, perhaps even resulting in your boiler needing replacing. Recognising any problems early on can reduce the amount of permanent damage caused to your boiler and keep it running for longer.
Qualified technicians required
It is important that whoever services your boiler is suitably qualified, experienced and equipped with the parts needed to complete the service. This minimises costs and downtime and ensures warranties remain valid. Automatic Heating technicians are fully trained and qualified to service our equipment and their fully stocked vans carry the parts needed to complete each job.
The equipment used by our technicians includes:
- Flue gas analyser
- Gas Manometer
- Air Compressor
- Electrical test equipment
- Ph level tester
During an annual boiler service our technician will go through a list of checks to ensure the safety and reliability of your boiler. This will include checking the safety of your boiler, its performance and replacing any worn or broken parts.
Tasks carried out include:
- Inspection of installation/flue and check for signs of water leaks.
- Drain expansion tank and check pre charge pressure.
- Check and set water make up.
- Test RPZ valve
- Check Pressure relief valves are correct for the water heater and expansion tank.
- Carry out the manufacturer’s service procedure.
- Check Gas Valve integrity to ensure no leakage is present.
- Check electrical safety controls and interlocks.
- Check Ph level is within the correct range on the drain if a neutralizer has been installed.
- Check and record combustion results from the Flue Gas Analyser.
- Adjust burner combustion ratios to ensure optimum efficiency results.
- Ask for water quality results and check the correct chemical is being used for the water heater type and system.
To book a Service to your Boiler please contact AHG Service Dept via email firstname.lastname@example.org or call on 1800 337 959